Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

It says t needs "A link to Schedule C or another form". I put all information on my 1099-MISC but it still says I need to complete all of the info. What should I do more?

That worked! When I clicked "jump to 1099-NEC" I could see that the same income was entered in multiple times, and that was what was throwing off the program. Thank you.

It says t needs "A link to Schedule C or another form". I put all information on my 1099-MISC but it still says I need to complete all of the info. What should I do more?

I did all of this several times and the issue is not resolved. Could it be that I am counting it as a side job rather than a business?  If that is so, where would I put the income instead?

I found and resolved the issue

I still cannot resolve mine. How did you do it?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Delete the 1909-MISC you have entered and reenter it.  To do this, please follow these instructions:

TurboTax Online

1. While in your return, click on Tax Tools > Tools (in the black bar at the side of your screen).  
  2. In the Tools Center, under Other helpful links click on Delete a form.
  3. Click Delete next to the form you want to delete and follow the onscreen instructions. 
  4. Once you have finished deleting the desired form(s) click the Continue with My Return box (in the lower right of your screen).

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete.
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.  

Then you can re-enter the 1099-MISC.  If you received the 1099-MISC for non-employee compensation the income should have been reported on Form 1099-NEC instead of a 1099-MISC.

To enter the income in box 7 of the 1099-MISC you received:

1. Click Wages & Income
  2. Under the Self-Employment section, click the Start/Revisit box next to Self-employment income and expenses.
  3. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.
  4. On the screen, Let's get some details from, XX's 1099-NEC, enter the amount from box 7 of the 1099-MISC in Box 1 of Form 1099-NEC.

If you received the 1099-MISC for something other than non-employee compensation, you can enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax as "Other Common Income," which is reported on line 8 of 1040 Schedule 1 and will not generate Schedule C or SE tax.  Please use the following steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to the Other Common Income section. 
  3. Click on the Start/Revisit box next Form 1099-MISC. 
  4. On the screen Did you get a 1099-MISC?  click on the Yes button.
  5. On the next screen, Let's get the info from your 1099-MISC, enter the information from the 1099-MISC.
  6. On the following screens, answer the following questions:
    • Did it involve work that's like your main job? No.
    • You got it in 2020
    • No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money

7.  Continue through the rest of the interview screens. The income will appear as Other Income.

I'm having the same problem. It was Box 3 Other Income and the purpose of 1099-MISC was working as a GrubHub delivery driver (Foodshare). Do I also delete it and start over to submit as Other Income instead?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You are working as Grub Hub driver to make money. Unless you also have a W2 form them, this is not a bonus  or other payment. This is your job and this is your income. You must pay Social Security and Medicare tax on these wages. The only way to trigger the SE tax is inside a business return. 

You will file a schedule C. The program will calculate the self-employment tax for you and add it to your return. Inside the business return, it will ask you to add income. Select the MISC and add yours there. Delete it anywhere else in the return.

You will need your business income, the 1099MISC and any expenses. The program will walk you through. You will also want to visit the personal section on Tax relief related to COVID 19. You may qualify for additional credits there.

• If you do not have expenses, you can go with Deluxe.
  • If you have expenses, you will need the Self-Employed version. 

Helpful links:

Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center - complete guide

@ShyGuy4ever

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

the only box that has numbers is my box one. Nothing else. I know schedule C is for expenses and I defiantly had a lot of those that were covered but it isn't listed anywhere

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@RustyTheNub If you want to enter a 1099-NEC with an amount in Box 1 as Self-Employment Income, type 'schedule c' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to schedule c'.

If you have not yet set up your Business, you will answer some questions about your business.

If you have already set up your Business, choose Edit/Review to add your Business Income from your 1099-NEC.  Then scroll down to Business Expenses to add your expenses. 

Click this link for more info on Business Expenses

cmy5044

I have tried this method multiple times, and I am still receiving the error. Is there something else I should be doing?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

What is the nature of the income that is being reported?  Will the income be reported as self-employment income or something else?  What box of the 1099-Misc is the income reported in?

The suggestions to delete with the through the website was what fixed the issue for me! Thank you!

I just got off the phone with a TurboTax agent who got me through to completion. The key is to not use the personal sales radio button (because there's no way to get to the finish line using that route) - instead mark self-employed. Continue through with that, and then I think we entered another self-employment form under wages and income, but now that I've actually completed everything, I can't go back to see what form I entered. But I do know that there's a form where it asks you for a business code and you use 999999. (six 9's).

I hope this helps anyone, because I definitely got to the finish line using this route. Maybe if someone finds this and successfully completes it as well, they can fill in the blanks I missed.

Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies