turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fitz270

It’s been 4 months since my return was accepted and it’s still processing with no completion date. Should I file an amendment?

Accepted Feb 1st, but any refund check just shows tax topic 152 with no anticipated completion date. I’ve received no communication from the IRS and have tried for months and am unable to speak to a human. Worried now that there must be some problem
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
shaenmo

It’s been 4 months since my return was accepted and it’s still processing with no completion date. Should I file an amendment?

I too am experiencing this problem and would like to know. Unfortunately, due to the COVID thing there are no people at the IRS to talk to. I had to send in an insurance form 1095 but that was very close to my filing date.

@fitz270 wrote:
Accepted Feb 1st, but any refund check just shows tax topic 152 with no anticipated completion date. I’ve received no communication from the IRS and have tried for months and am unable to speak to a human. Worried now that there must be some problem

No.  You cannot amend until the first return  has been totally processed and you receive any refund.

**********************************************************************************************
**NOTE*** Due to the Corona virus the IRS is operating short staffed. All field offices are closed and some processing centers are all but closed. Any tax return that requires hand processing will probably have long delays. Mailed returns are not being processed at all at this time. Most phone service has been curtailed.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue
**********************************************************************************************

TurboTax only gives the general IRS (most returns are processed within 21 days) date. The actual date is known only by the IRS. TurboTax also does not adjust the general date for anything on the tax return. TurboTax receives no feedback from the IRS after filing.

The IRS says most refunds will be issued within 21 days - some faster, some longer.

Each tax return is evaluated on it's own merits. There is no first-in-first-out. Two similar tax return submitted at the same time can have totally different processing times based on IRS criteria for examining tax returns that the IRS does not divulge.

Some returns will be held for ID verification or other verification. The IRS will send a letter if they require more information to process your tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing

Check your refund stratus here:
https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If it says "Tax Topic 152" then that is only general refund information.
https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152

Check your state refund here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

As a Tax Preparer, what I have been seeing is that there is a definite delay this year in all refunds except for the smallest. This is especially true if you are receiving a large (over $10,000) refund. I have over a half dozen clients who have been waiting months for their refunds. They are still being "processed" by the IRS. I tell them to just be patient. There is nothing in their return that would throw a red flag. It's just a weirder tax year than usual.

So just hang in there. You will get your refund if it's not being offset for past taxes, child support, student loans or other Federal or State offsets.

Do NOT file an amendment unless you get a letter from the IRS requesting that you do so. Filing one while your original return is still being processed will guarantee a further delay in your refund. If you have not received a letter saying that something is wrong, then nothing is wrong. This is the strangest tax year ever. The COVID19 nightmare has delayed everything because the IRS is essentially shut down just like a lot of other federal and state government offices. Just hang in there. You will get your refund.

jdw4
Returning Member

I am in a similar boat. My refund is less than $2000. It has been several months since I filed.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I Not able to get a representative at the IRS at the one 800 number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies