Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return has already been accepted by the IRS, but my W-2 was wrong. I now have the correct w-2. Need to amend my tax return for 2018. When will 1040x be available in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Return has already been accepted by the IRS, but my W-2 was wrong. I now have the correct w-2. Need to amend my tax return for 2018. When will 1040x be available in 2019?

It is way to soon to amend.  Only a few 2018 returns in a test batch have even been accepted by the IRS.  You cannot amend your 2018 return until it has been FULLY PROCESSED by the IRS.  So settle in for a wait.  If you try to amend too soon all you will do is confuse the IRS while they are still working on your original return.

The IRS will begin accepting returns on January 28.  You will get an email after that telling you if your return was accepted or rejected.  If it rejected, you will be able to make corrections and re-submit it.  But if they accept it, you need to wait until they process it completely and send your refund.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It is way to soon to amend.  Only a few 2018 returns in a test batch have even been accepted by the IRS.  You cannot amend your 2018 return until it has been FULLY PROCESSED by the IRS.  So settle in for a wait.  If you try to amend too soon all you will do is confuse the IRS while they are still working on your original return.

The IRS will begin accepting returns on January 28.  You will get an email after that telling you if your return was accepted or rejected.  If it rejected, you will be able to make corrections and re-submit it.  But if they accept it, you need to wait until they process it completely and send your refund.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies