Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tlochner

Is there some way to read old .tax files without having the turbo-tax program itself installed so I can print my return for my lawyer. see below for details.

I have used turbo-tax paid installed version every year since 1997. I do have the .tax file generated in each year. Is there some way to read those old .tax files without having the turbo-tax program itself installed so I can print my return for my lawyer and accountant??? Just read in and print.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Is there some way to read old .tax files without having the turbo-tax program itself installed so I can print my return for my lawyer. see below for details.

Did you also save them as .pdf files?
tlochner

in 1997 i don't think you could print pdf files.
tlochner

is there a online program that you have that read those files so i can print?

Not sure why anyone needs a 22 yr old tax return.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.taxprinter.com/">http://www.taxprinter.com/</a>

No.  Only TurboTax software can read TurboTax files.   TurboTax does not support any year older than 2015.   Even if you could locate the software, it would be useless without updates and if the tax returns has a state, would be impossible to open without the state software that is not available.     
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The .tax file can only be read by that year’s tax program. 

I think IRS transcript only go back 6 years.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

It certainly would be nice if turbotax kept a copy of their program which could read their old tax files.  I suspect that they do but they have decided the good will of the customers is just not worth the trouble.   I needed to check the cost basis of money I put in an IRA back int 2002-2007 and even though I have a copy of  the old program it won't run on modern Macintosh operating system OS.   I'd love to send my tax return from 2003 to them and have them export a .pdf of my return, but I can't figure out even how to ask them!

If you have old .tax files you can try converting them to pdf files at  Www.Taxprinter.Com 

It might be expensive.  They are not connected with Turbo Tax.  Use it at your own risk.

Thanks !!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies