Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it possible to get a bigger refund than the amount of tax paid in?

I just did my taxes on Turbo Tax. I made $45000 in Wis last year. I did get married, my wife is a housewife so she has no income. My daughter started college last fall and we paid her tuition. After doing our taxes, it states that we will get a refund of $5500 from the federal and $1200 from the state. How can this be when we only paid $4350 in taxes to federaL and $2278 to state. I am not complaining but something just don't seem right. I checked my numbers and they were entered correct.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Yes, this is very possible... especially when you have a child in college.

This is very common when you're eligible for refundable credits.  You're probably getting a refundable child tax credit for your daughter, and maybe some for her education expenses, as well.  So, it's possible that you can get a refund larger than what you've had withheld.

Without knowing all of your specifics, I'll just guide you to the TurboTax article What Is the Difference Between a Refundable and a Nonrefundable Credit? so you can see what I’m referring to as far as refundable credits.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Yes, this is very possible... especially when you have a child in college.

This is very common when you're eligible for refundable credits.  You're probably getting a refundable child tax credit for your daughter, and maybe some for her education expenses, as well.  So, it's possible that you can get a refund larger than what you've had withheld.

Without knowing all of your specifics, I'll just guide you to the TurboTax article What Is the Difference Between a Refundable and a Nonrefundable Credit? so you can see what I’m referring to as far as refundable credits.

Thank you very much, I was wondering if I prepared my taxes correctly, I double and triple checked my answers.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies