Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is anyone else still waiting on their tax refund and electronically filed an Injured Spouse Form in February 2020? I filled mine Feb. 5th and I’m still waiting. Next week will be 11 weeks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

42 Replies

Is anyone else still waiting on their tax refund and electronically filed an Injured Spouse Form in February 2020? I filled mine Feb. 5th and I’m still waiting. Next week will be 11 weeks.

Are you still waiting? 

If not, when did it come?

@Megsdaboss No I still have not received my refund. I am still waiting.

**NOTE*** Due to the Corona virus the IRS is operating short staffed. All field offices are closed and some processing centers are all but closed. Any tax return that requires hand processing will probably have long delays. Mailed returns are not being processed at all at this time. Most phone service has been curtailed.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

I filed a week after and I am still waiting as well. I received a stimulus check but still have no indication as to when my refund will be sent.

@shortyt @Megsdaboss Hey guys I ran across an article stating “thousands” of IRS workers are returning. Hopefully we should be getting our returns sooner than later! I’m hoping before the end of May, but my hopes aren’t that high. This year has been a mess.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/27/politics/irs-employees-back-to-work-incentiv...

I filed and was accepted by the IRS February 5th as well with I jured spouse and it's still saying processing. Very stressful so nice to see I'm not alone! 

I filed electronically on feb 5th as well with injured spouse and STILL waiting!

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

The IRS is taking longer to process returns but since you have the injured spouse, that typically takes up to 14 weeks to process during normal times.

Since we are dealing with social distancing because of Covid-19, it may take a bit longer.  

Attached is a link with more information as to what departments within the IRS are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Cevett1 I’m still waiting also. I am curious if we’re going to be paid interest for going beyond 15 weeks...it’s not right we’re just waiting in the dark. If we were to owe them they would have already garnished our wages.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Filing an 8379 will delay your federal refund by up to 14 weeks under normal conditions.  With the COVID situation, it could take much longer.  Those have to be manually processed and the IRS is currently not processing returns manually.  

The IRS doesn't pay you interest for holding your money all year if you have too much withheld, or if you pay too much in estimated tax. However, the IRS may pay you interest if they send your refund later than 45 days from the filing deadline for your return. If you file your return before it is due, the IRS still has 45 days from the deadline - generally April 15 (this year is an exception as the deadline has been moved to 07/15). If you file after the deadline of April 15, then the 45-day period begins the date on which you filed.

You may also get interest payments from the IRS if the agency assesses taxes on your return by amending it, and you later show the assessment is too high.

I did not file an 8379, but it has been almost 100 days since I have filed. on February 12th. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Sign in to TurboTax to check your current status. You'll find it in Tax Home after sign in.

If you've got an Alexa device, you can enable it to check for you.

If you used TurboTax CD/Download you can check your e-file status by opening the File menu and selecting Check E-filing status or by opening your return, selecting the File tab, and selecting the Check E-file Status header.

Keep in mind:

• E-filing status is what stage of the process your return is in.
  • Refund status is when you can expect your refund. If that’s what you’re interested in, go to Where's My Refund?  <<  What does your status show on the IRS site?  @shortyt

that doesn't help. Transmitted Feb 12th, accepted Feb 13th, estimated federal return, March 3rd 2020. 

When I go to Where's my refund it says "your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available. 

Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.   Due to the virus processing times are much longer so patience will be needed. 

See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies