Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lcclagg

IRS wants to know how I arrived at amount on line 6 of return. The return was prepared on Turbo Tax Deluxe. My electronic copy has disappeared on my computer. I need you to send me an electronic copy. I fell 6 weeks ago and broke my hip. I am unable to get upstairs to my office to get paper copy. Can you help?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

IRS wants to know how I arrived at amount on line 6 of return. The return was prepared on Turbo Tax Deluxe. My electronic copy has disappeared on my computer. I need you to send me an electronic copy. I fell 6 weeks ago and broke my hip. I am unable to get upstairs to my office to get paper copy. Can you help?

If you used a downloaded version on your computer then only you have a copy of the return ... open the program and search for any files ending in .tax2018  then once you can open the return you can save a copy as a printable PDF. 

Save a Backup Copy of Your Tax File

To save a backup copy of your tax data file (.tax file) that can be opened and read by TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll need to choose your TurboTax product:

Similar-sounding—but very different—is saving a copy of your tax return as a PDF file, which is like a picture or "snapshot" of your tax return that you can view or print.

PDF files cannot be opened or read by TurboTax software, which means they cannot be used for amending or troubleshooting calculation issues.

Related Information:

Why should I save a PDF copy of my return?

Saving a copy of your return as a PDF (in addition to the proprietary tax data format TurboTax uses) lets you open, view, and print your return using the free Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader software.

This is a lifesaver if your tax data file gets corrupted or if you no longer have the TurboTax software to open it in. The government also accepts a paper-filed return printed from the PDF.

Please note that TurboTax PDF files cannot be "read" by the TurboTax software the way the tax data file can, which means they cannot be used for amending, troubleshooting calculation issues, or for full prior-year transfer capabilities.

For specific instructions, refer to the Related Information section, below.

Related Information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900937-why-should-i-save-a-pdf-copy-of-my-return

How can I protect the tax files on my computer?

Protect the sensitive information in your tax data files and tax-related PDF files with the following (the more, the merrier):

• If you're on Windows XP, upgrade to Vista or higher, as Microsoft has stopped patching XP
  • Download and install the latest updates for Windowsor Mac
  • Keep your firewall on at all times
  • Install and run virus- and spyware-protection software (and make sure to keep it updated)
  • Store your files in a folder where they cannot be shared
  • Password-protect your tax file
  • Use PDF encryption software to protect PDF copies of your return
  • Never email your tax or PDF files

Another option is to move your tax and tax-related PDF files off your computer and onto a storage device which you can then store in a secure location.

Related Information:

Download your 2018 tax return from Print Center to include all forms, schedules and worksheets -

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state.  Add a State 2018.JPG

This will take you back to the 2018 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies