Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS sent me a CP24 notice for my e-filed 2016 return and deducted my federal tax refund for 2015 and decreased my refund for 2016. Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PeterM

IRS sent me a CP24 notice for my e-filed 2016 return and deducted my federal tax refund for 2015 and decreased my refund for 2016. Is this correct?

It's not uncommon for that to happen. Contact the IRS at the number provided on the notice, or if none is provided...the number to call is 1-800-829-1040. Keep the letter you received handy when you call them. Also, make sure you have a copy of the tax return in question in front of you when you call them also. The key is to contact them as soon as you can to determine what your next step is, if there is one at all.

The following was pulled directly from the IRS website:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp24-notice

What you need to do
  • Read your notice carefully — it will explain the changes we made to your return.
    • Compare the payments on the notice to your records:
      • Verify all your estimated tax payments are listed.
      • Check the amount applied (if any) from the prior year.
  • If you agree with the changes we made,
    • Correct your tax return copy that you kept for your records, but don’t send it to us.
    • You should receive your remaining refund, as long as you don't owe any other taxes or debts we're required to collect.
    • You can check on the status of your refund online by using www.irs.gov/refunds and select the "Where's My Refund?" button.
  • If you don’t agree, contact us within 60 days from the date of your notice and see “Answers to Common Questions” below.
    • By telephone: Call us at the toll-free number shown on your notice. The fastest way to resolve many errors is by telephone. Some cases require additional information that you may provide verbally. If we need a copy of a cancelled check or other documentation,  you can fax it to us while on the telephone. Either way we may be able to correct your account immediately.
    • By mail: Please include a copy of the notice along with your correspondence or documentation, and allow 30-60 days or more for a resolution.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies