mponiatowski1993

IRS Review letter was sent to me, after I have already received my refund?

I had filed for my taxes on 1/30 And a few weeks later I had called, and they had told me I was selected for review and to wait up to 45 days. Long story short, I finally received my tax refund on 3/14. Then I received a review letter in the mail dated 3/9 saying I was selected for review. The letter states after the review my refund may be sent to me, and I don't need to take any action at this time. Was it possible the letter inter to be sent to me before my refund? I don't know why they would send me my refund if everything didn't check out. I'm worried about this, do I disregard? Thanks for the help everyone!

KrisD

The IRS works through several departments at once, so it is more than possible that the department in charge of sending letters worked slower than the department that actually reviewed your return. The letter states that you do not need to take action, and that once resolved, the refund will be mailed. Since you did receive the refund, it would seem that the IRS has completed their review. Remember that the IRS has the right to review or audit a taxpayer for years after the taxpayer files, so always keep copies of tax forms, and other pertinent documents and receipts.