turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS notified me unemployment payment info does not match my return. TT correctly calculated line 19 as UC less Benefits Repaid. Do I need to file an amended return?

I received an IRS notice that the reported unemployment payment info does not match my 2016 tax return and that I may need to file an amended return.  

The 1099-G shows that some 2016 benefits were repaid.  

Turbo tax subtracted the repaid amount so that 1040 line 19 is unemployment compensation is less the repaid benefits, as expected.  

I'm guessing the IRS is comparing the full amount of compensation on line 19, and not the reduced amount due to repaid benefits.  

Is my return actually incorrect and do I need to file an amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

IRS notified me unemployment payment info does not match my return. TT correctly calculated line 19 as UC less Benefits Repaid. Do I need to file an amended return?

If the IRS is incorrect then tell them so and prove your position. Send them a copy of the 1099-G that supports your position ... a phone call may clear this up as well. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If the IRS is incorrect then tell them so and prove your position. Send them a copy of the 1099-G that supports your position ... a phone call may clear this up as well. 

IRS says they don't actually "see" a printed 1099G, only the transmission of amounts in the numbered boxes. They did not get a "benefits repaid" amount (in an unnumbered box). So as both you and they suggested, I must mail it to them. I wonder how many tens of thousands of Californians have had this issue over how many years. Time on phone with IRS 44 minutes including wait. Thanks Critter#2.

By the way, the TurboTax Printed or PDF of the 1040 scrunches up the "repaid amount" to the left of line 19 so as to be almost unreadable.  It is perfectly readable in the TT Forms view.  Not that the IRS would "see" that on paper when electronically filed.  

There is no provision in the AnswerXchange Comment page to upload an image of the scrunched text.

removed
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies