Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Never Answers the Phone...EVER

Greetings - 

I am a business owner and I filed my Taxes (1120S) via the Business Turbo Tax. Now, call me crazy but I thought the extension on filing applied to business as well so I was a little late but I have filed and taxes are paid. However, they assessed me a $410.00 penalty for late filing. Now an issue, I sent a check in the mail back 2 months ago, I sent it certified mail and it was signed for by the due date.

However, they (IRS) have not cashed the check yet and I am sure they will say they did not get it and hit me with more late fees and interest. So I have been trying to call them for over a week now, waiting on the phone for over an hour each time only to have them cut it off and say "call back another time". So how is someone supposed to get in touch with IRS when they don't answer the phone lines?

My question is if I log back into my Turbo Tax Business program can I see the penalties and just pay them online with the program? As I said, I have already sent them a check 2 months ago but they hit you with penalties of $210.00 a month.....and I can't reach anyone.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

IRS Never Answers the Phone...EVER

The postmark on the envelope you mailed the check in will be honored by the IRS as the date you paid your tax due.  Mailed returns, etc. have been piling up in trailers for months.  The IRS is only beginning the task of opening all of those envelopes, so you may be waiting for quite a while before they open your envelope and cash the check.

To answer your question about TT calculating late penalties and interest--no -- TurboTax will not do that.  If in fact you owe and penalties or interest it will be calculated and billed by the IRS.  Hang onto the receipt and proof from your certified mail that shows when the IRS received it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies