Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

miaoxr

IRS lost my tax return but deposited my payment check what should I do now?

I prepared my tax return with TurboTax and mailed my 2020 tax return with a payment check. My check was deposited into my IRS account after the mail was delivered. But my 2020 tax return was not processed for the whole year. Now I got the letter from IRS, it says I am not filing a tax return for 2020. I try to call them every day but failed because of high volumed. I cannot connect with them. So now what should I do? Resend the tax return or amended the tax return?

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

there is no right answer because if you mailed in your return yours could be among the 2 to 3 million that the IRS has not yet processed. if you mailed the return and payment check together then the IRS should have your return.   Does the notice contain an address to send your return? since you owed and the IRS cashed the check sending in another copy MIGHT be the thing to do. this time use a mailing service where you can get proof of delivery.  see if others who respond to this thread have other advice. 

miaoxr

Thanks for your advice.

I would wait.  The IRS sent out a lot of letters.  The last couple years were a mess and the IRS got way behind processing returns.   

IRS suspending notices

IRS continues work to help taxpayers; suspends mailing of additional letters | Internal Revenue Serv...

See this CNN article requesting another copy

IRS to temporarily stop sending many taxpayer notices - CNN

@miaoxr 

Returns that were filed for 2020 may be unprocessed/delayed but they are entered into the IRS system.

If IRS says you did not file, submit a paper copy of your complete tax return via US Mail.

Don't forget to sign and date.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies