Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hes2gud

IRS changed my refund amount

I prepared my taxes with Turbotax. The IRS stated that they changed the amount claimed as total gifts to charity on my Schedule A Itemized deductions because it was figured incorrectly or the amount was not limited based on my adjusted gross income (180D). They changed the refund amount or the amount I owe on the tax return because the amount entered on the tax return was computed incorrectly (299D). I would like to know why turbotax did not compute my return correctly based on what the IRS is stating?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

this is a public forum that has no access to your return. contact Turbotax customer support or 

The Audit Defense service is provided by TaxResources, Inc., also called TaxAudit.com, in partnership with TurboTax. If you paid for Audit Defense and you received an IRS notice, call TaxResources, Inc. at 877-829-9695, or report your IRS notice on their web site at http://intuit.taxaudit.com/. Do not contact the IRS until you have spoken to TaxResources. They may contact the IRS on your behalf.

I have EXACTLY the same situation - TurboTax electronic filing = return amount of $1724.00 - IRS adjusted down to $600.00. (With no definitive explanation.) TurboTax has been NO HELP except to offer to sell me additional service to have a CPA review files.

It is the first and last time I will ever use TurboTax.

@Kubacoll   That's about a $1200 difference. 1,200 sounds like you entered the Stimulus checks you got wrong. Do you have 1,200 on line 30? Did you already get the first or second stimulus checks? Or get the second one after you filed? You had to enter what you already got into the right 2 boxes or Turbo Tax gave it to you again. The IRS knows they already sent it to you. Line 30 is only if you qualify more.

I have a similar situation but on mine, line 30 is 1400 (so it Is the stimulus check we were sent from the Government). My Tax Return “Accepted” on TurboTax is $2,526, but my check came back $1,126. Turbo Tax has to input that detail sooner than later otherwise a lot of people will be confused. I was frustrated until you brought up that topic of stimulus checks, and to be honest the IRS should let us know they want their money back, lol. No longer upset about it because it was money lent but they should let the people know because you can’t imagine an excitement to hopefully receiving an amount soon, but then it comes back with a $1,400 difference 

C0A75E45-4ED4-4560-B49C-431769BA8AC2.jpeg

91DCC3F1-7188-4C0E-B3AD-91A810A26F18.jpeg

No the IRS isn't taking it back and it's not taxable. If you got the 1,400 3rd Stimulus payment then line 30 should have been 0.   Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more.   You tried to claim it again.  The IRS  knows they already sent it to you.   Did you get letter 6475 saying what they sent you?  You answered the Stimulus question wrong.  

Bherp

If you did enter incorrectly for line 30, will the IRS correct it and correct your refund amount back to what it should be? How did you get someone on the phone?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRS should detect the mistake and adjust your return. There may be instances however where the mistake may not be detected and they will send you one of their collection letters later. 

@Bherp

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My daughter did her taxes, turbo tax said she has a refund coming but IRS sent letter saying she owed taxes just wondering who we can talk to, to  get this corrected

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

What did the IRS say they changed? You should receive a letter from the IRS telling you why your refund amount was changed.  The most common reasons so far this season are:

1. You did not enter that you received the stimulus payment in TurboTax, so your return said you were getting the money back, but the IRS caught it and said, no, you already received it.
    • If you look at line 30 of your 1040 and it shows an amount there, and you already received the $1,400 per person last year when they sent out the stimulus payments, this is likely the reason. 
    • If you do not remember getting the stimulus payments you can go back through your bank records to double check.  Many people either didn't realize they did receive it or they forgot, but end up seeing it when they go back through their records. 
    • The Recovery Rebate is ONLY for those who did not get the Third Stimulus Payment
  2. You did not report the full amount of your Advanced Payments for the Child Tax Credit that you already received.  Again, the IRS will catch this and make the changes to your return. 
    • ​​​​​​​This would show on line 28 of your return. If you have 2 kids and you see $6,000 on line 28 then the IRS records show that you already received $3,000 in Advanced Child Tax Payments, but you entered that you did not receive any.  
    • Again, if you do not remember getting these payments you can go back through your bank records from July-December.

A couple other reasons include

1. You owed back taxes, child support, student loans or something else that caused your refund to be Offset to pay some of the past due debt. You should have received a letter if this was the case.
  2. Something was not reported correctly on your return and the IRS recalculated your return causing you not to have a refund. This could include things such as missing income or inaccurately reported income (ex. you entered $5,500 for your W2 box 1 instead of $15,500)

You should look for a letter from the IRS and if you do not have one or do not receive one, you would need to call the IRS at 800-829-1040 as no one else would have the answer as to why your refund was reduced.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies