Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drliz1992

IRS attempted to debit my taxes from the wrong account

I put my checking account number in for direct debit of my taxes due. However, the IRS attempted to take the money from my savings account. Because there weren't enough funds in my savings account to cover the taxes I owed (I keep most of my money in my checking account), there was a non-sufficient funds item fee debited to my account from the IRS. I would like a refund from TurboTax.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Check with your bank to see if you put the right routing and acct number.  And check your return.  Maybe you checked the Savings Acct box instead of checking.

This is a data entry error made by you and NOT a programming error so there will be no refund of the TT fees in this case.  

drliz1992

No, it was not a data entry error on my part. I entered the correct account number; I used the same number I have always used in the past.

Still check with your bank and with the IRS.

Then your beef is with your bank if you entered the correct account/routing numbers for your checking account.  All TT does is forward the info you entered to the fed/state taxing authorities and they are the ones who complete the transaction.   It is possible the feds made an error ... when they send you the bill you can try to fight with them to get the penalty abated. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies