turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My. Taxes went under review its days 45 days what does that mein

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

179 Replies

In order to explain what this means, I am including here a snippet from the IRS understanding your CP05 notice below.  Please read the brief article for more information.

Why is my return being reviewed?

While most returns are accepted as filed, some are selected for examination. The IRS examines some federal tax returns to determine if income, expenses, and credits are being reported accurately. The IRS selects returns for examination using various methods which include random sampling, computerized screening, and comparison of information received by the IRS such as Forms W-2 and 1099. Having your return selected for examination does not suggest that you made an error or were dishonest.

I am on the same boat. I have no idea what is going on and have pretty much given up. I have been told so many different things I don't know what is true and what is not. One rep asked me, "oh, you didn't get a letter?" I didn't know how to respond, my heart just sunk, panicked, everything. Told her no, what letter? What do you mean? What is going on? All she said was that I was randomly selected for a 45 day review starting March 11th. I asked why? What is this about? She said it is for anyone that claimed the earned income credit and child tax credit, right there I knew that was not true as there are people who claimed these credits and already have their refunds. Another told me it is to verify everything I put on my return. Another told me it could be any number of things and one told me it is to verify that I can claim all the credits I am claiming. All of this is between IRS reps and Tax advocate reps. The only thing I was told by all of them that was the same is that there is nothing for me to do right now other than wait is either my refund will get approved or I will get a letter. I have no idea what to do anymore, this has never happened to me before and I didn't file or claim anything differently than previous years. I am so frustrated and terrified I did something wrong. Right now, I am just trying to scrounge up every last penny I can, selling a lot of my stuff just to make ends meet. Single mom, three kids and was served court papers on a stupid loan that I was going to pay off with my refund. They said they'd work with me when things got really tight a few months ago. I was looking forward to this to give me a little breathing room and know we would be ok for the time being since I stopped getting child support and know idea when that will resume. I don't know whether to scream, cry, pull my hair out, call a lawyer or what. Never had this happen before and just so terrified. Never been in trouble or anything, I just want to be able to sleep again and focus on school which looks like I am going to have to quite now when I am so close to finishing. It's unbelievable, no one even has a clue what is going on.

Just got the same news with similar circumstances today. I’m a single mom with two kids and made less than 20k this year and for some reason I was chosen for the same hold. They said they will start processing them March 11th and that it could be until April 25th before I see my return. I’m so frustrated right now!!! Why are they picking on the single moms of the world?!? Go bother the rich who lie and sneak their way through taxes. So annoying

Right i went under review February the 28th the irs rep told and just to wait 45 days or until i receive a letter. What is goin on

Same here
Buttonz

Same here!
Buttonz

I'm livid
Buttonz

This has never happened before!!!  I was told 45 days from 2/25.  That's April!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn dude me too..... I filed on Feb 1st 3 kids made around 20,000 claimed credits and on Feb 22 they started the 45 days. I called and they told me I should get a letter but I have not received one yet, and that I do nothing but wait. Like what tf. I never have had this problem in the past so now I'm so confused to why this is going on. But I hope that it comes before the 45 days.

I'm in the same situation, they said starting March 4, but idk why till this date if it went into review sometime in February.  My question is does it take exactly the 45 days or can it be at anytime in between the 45 days?

I called a few days ago and they said that mine was going under review on March 18th and to call back if I haven't received it by May 1st. There are people out there that are really trying beat the system and I feel like they are "randomly selecting" the wrong ones. It really does suck because you work hard all year long and can't even get the money you have worked for. We all count on that money!
mamii1122

Same here called twice supposedly first person said to count 45 days from feb 25 then when I called again lady said they sent letter out March 4 that whatever date on there is when the 45 day starts I need my money this is ridiculous single mom here also it’s messed up
mamii1122

Same here called twice supposedly first person said to count 45 days from feb 25 then when I called again lady said they sent letter out March 4 that whatever date on there is when the 45 day starts I need my money this is ridiculous single mom here also it’s messed up
mamii1122

And the lady said it could be 45 days 60 days or 90 days or it could be early idk I’m so upset
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies