harha

In Hawaii... Tax Preparer told me to mail my 1040X Amended Return with check payment to the IRS in Fresno, CA- but IRS website says after June 19 that Amendments needs to be mailed to Ogden, UT instead. What happens now?

Hello,

So I currently live in Hawaii and I just Amended two tax returns for 2017 and 2018 and mailed two checks with them for extra taxes owed respectively for those two years.  My tax preparer who drew up the Amendments for me gave me instructions that said as a Hawaii resident, the Amended Returns with the checks have to be mailed to the IRS branch in Fresno, CA.  So I just sent the two Amendments, along with the checks, to Fresno, CA today.  I now just noticed however on the IRS website that it says starting after June 19th I guess apparently they want all Hawaii residents to mail Amended Tax Returns to Ogden, UT instead?  Assuming that I'm not misunderstanding this, I'm not sure what to do now.  If this is indeed true, will they really be unable to process my Amended Returns in Fresno, CA?  If they can't process my Amended Returns in Fresno, CA, will they at least then forward the Amended Returns to Ogden, UT?  If so, how I will I know that they forwarded the Amended Returns to Ogden, UT and that things are moving along smoothly, or if I need to just cancel everything and start over again?  I'm assuming that if both checks end up cashed then everything is good and no further action is needed on my part with regards to this situation?  

Thanks for any help that you can spare.

If the amended return has a balance due on it then the WMAR? tool may not give you a status report.   If you sent a payment with the return as you were supposed to then when they cash the check you will know it at least made it to processing.   Once processed they may send you a bill for any penalties or interest you may now owe.  With a balance due return the standard is no news is good news.  

*** just learned a new trick ... don't know if it will work on the Amended tracking tool like it does on the regular  WMR? tool but  when asked for the refund on the 1040X enter in $1 as a work around to see the progress ***

Don't worry ...  a lot of mail gets sent to the wrong IRS office all the time.  They will send it to the correct office automatically.  Just so you are aware ... amended returns are now taking 6 months or more to process  so the couple of extra days to forward the envelope to the correct division will be unnoticeable. 

harha

Thank you.

Appreciate the reply.  That's great to hear.  Any way I can track the progress of the Amendment payment resolution on the IRS website?

@harha wrote:

Thank you.

Go to this IRS website for the status of an amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

Note that amended tax returns are taking 6 months or longer to process by the IRS.

harha

Thank you very much.  

I assume then that this Amended Tax Return tracker portal can also track Amended Tax Returns for the purpose of making payments to the IRS as well.  I was maybe thinking it was only for people who were submitting Amended Returns for the purpose of earning extra money back from the IRS. 

Appreciate it, thanks again.