turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IHSS

Though I’ve been an IHSS worker for my son for 10 years, I wasn’t aware of the live in certification. Taxes were filed in prior years and paid. Now I’ve filled in the Live in Certification, can I apply for an amendment to taxes paid to date on this income?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

IHSS

You can amend a previous year tax return for up to three years from the due date of the tax return. So, you can amend your 2017 tax return up until April 15, 2021, and also 2018 and 2019 this year. You will see an option for this on your home page in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

IHSS

You can amend a previous year tax return for up to three years from the due date of the tax return. So, you can amend your 2017 tax return up until April 15, 2021, and also 2018 and 2019 this year. You will see an option for this on your home page in TurboTax.

bryannahjoseph
Returning Member

IHSS

I have already filed for this year. I am a live in care provider for my daughter (receiver) of ihss. I got the w-2 and submitted it as a standard income. Was that wrong and if so how can I fix it? 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

IHSS

You can amend your return to remove this income from your tax return.  The amended return will be available to use on February 18th.  

Do not amend your return if you already e-filed the tax return.  Wait until the IRS has fully processed the return with either a reject or accepted response.

Once the return has been processed, and if it is rejected by the IRS, you have the opportunity to correct it immediately and resubmit through e-file a second time.

If the return is processed, and it is accepted by the IRS, this require preparing an amended return. You have time, the Form 1040-X is scheduled for availability on February 18th.  This is a normal timeframe for release.

Below are the specific changes you would make on your amended return.  Follow these steps to remove the income from your tax return.

1. Scroll down the page to the last section titled: Less common Income and click show more;
  2. Select start or update next to the last topic titled Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C;
  3. Scroll down to the last option titled Other reportable income and select start or edit;
  4. When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes then you will make one entry
  5. Enter this description: IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income and enter the W-2 Box 1 amount as a Negative (-) number

When you return to the Wages & Income page, scroll to see the negative income beside Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C; This will remove the income on your return for the IHSS or other payments received by an individual care provider under a state Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services Waiver program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies