Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Need to amend 2016 return which has not been filed

Want to go back and start over with input od data on worksheets. Would like to review and change numbers where appropriate on worksheets and summaries
2 Replies
Level 15

Need to amend 2016 return which has not been filed

If you have not filed your 2016 return then do NOT click on anything that says "amend."  "Amending" is a special process only used for returns that have been filed and fully processed by the IRS.  You simply need to make some changes/corrections to a return before you file it.  However, you are not going to be able to use the online "Set-Employed" software you are posting from.  Online preparation for 2016 is permanently closed.  Now you will need to switch to the desktop software to complete your return.  The comparable software to online Self-Employed is Home and Business.

To finish a prior year return started in TT online:

Your r2016 return will need to be printed, signed and mailed in order to file it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
New Member

Need to amend 2016 return which has not been filed

I downloaded the desktop software and have attempted numerous times to download the tax file for 2016. It downloads into a pdf. I can't figure out how to change that so I can import to the desktop. What can I do?

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies