turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ghfagan

Why can't I open my 2017 TurboTax return? TurboTax 2017 is still in my applications folder (Mac) but I can't open last years return.

I need information from my 2017 tax return to complete the 2018 return but I can not open the 2017 return even though the application is still in my applications folder.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why can't I open my 2017 TurboTax return? TurboTax 2017 is still in my applications folder (Mac) but I can't open last years return.

If you double click on the 2017 data file, it will automatically try and open TT 2018 instead, to start a new return by transferring the prior information.  Instead, launch TT 2017 directly from the App icon in the Applications folder.  It may need to install updates.  Then, it should open the last-used tax data file, or you can use File...Open to open the correct data file.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

If you double click on the 2017 data file, it will automatically try and open TT 2018 instead, to start a new return by transferring the prior information.  Instead, launch TT 2017 directly from the App icon in the Applications folder.  It may need to install updates.  Then, it should open the last-used tax data file, or you can use File...Open to open the correct data file.

ghfagan

Tried both of these methods already.  When I use File...Open and the select last years return I get a new blank return, not the form I filled our last year.  When I double click the file from last years return, nothing opens at all.
dderemiah
Returning Member

I am trying to open my 2017 TT file after applying the latest updates and it keeps telling me to download a state.  I select the state and it seems to download but then asks again and loops back to the download dialogue.  I need to open the return.  After the update it is version 2017.r49.110 for Mac

dderemiah
Returning Member

I followed the uninstall re-install procedure.  When I try to download the "first state" again, it says it successfully installed but then loops around and requires to download and install again and again.

@macuser_22  can you help?

LAURAFRAN

Has anyone figured out how to open the tax file from 2017?  I mistakenly did not save it as a pdf and there it is but it won't open.  I have reloaded and updated from the disc, tried to import it and clicked on it 1000 times... I lost my paper version and this is nuts!

You will need to contact TurboTax support for this situation ….

Go to this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies