turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ninewinds

I moved in 2018 (military PCS), and I received reimbursement, but have nothing listed in W-2 box 12 as reimbursement. Do I still input moving info somewhere or skip it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB
Expert Alumni

I moved in 2018 (military PCS), and I received reimbursement, but have nothing listed in W-2 box 12 as reimbursement. Do I still input moving info somewhere or skip it?

If you did a DITY/Partly DITY move you should have two W-2, your regular one and the Travel/Miscellaneous one (see picture). If you had more expenses than reimbursements, then those are your allowable expenses to deduct and you can enter them in TurboTax. If you do not have more expenses than reimbursements then skip the section.

Please see  Publication 521Moving Expenses for detail information what can be deducted.

ninewinds

Thank you! I did a partial DITY move, but I only have the one regular W-2. My concern is that the reimbursements have been rolled up into the single W-2, and that I need to provide the corresponding expenses to balance them or else be taxed on reimbursements considered as income. The TurboTax interface doesn't help, as all it does is ask for my move info. If I "play dumb," then I follow the basic instructions and provide all my hotel costs and mileage. The interface even explicitly says NOT to provide reimbursement info outside of what's already in the W-2. So, it appears to assume that the act of providing those expenses is balancing out the reimbursements presumably accounted for in the W-2. I just don't know if this is actually correct or not?
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Please keep in mind that you also receive non-taxable allowances like DLA, per diem, and mileage if you use your POV to move you will have to deduct that from the expenses. These allowances won't be on your W-2.
And for the reimbursement of the partial DITY move if its included on a W-2 then the W-2 needs to have the code P on it as long as you did submit all the paperwork after the move.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies