turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal return cannot be filed because of zero values (no income, no refund, etc). How can I file my state return? The online software is caught in a loop.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

My federal return cannot be filed because of zero values (no income, no refund, etc). How can I file my state return? The online software is caught in a loop.

If there is nothing on your federal return, you are not required to file.  And generally, you do not have to file a state return unless you are required to file a federal return.  What state income do you have that is not on your federal?  Note - you can't add anything directly to your state return.  Everything gets entered on the federal return and TurboTax will transfer it to your state return.  

maryruyle

I don't have any additional state income, I have a refund due to a credit on MO return. (answering now on mother's account - doing her taxes). It should let me e-file whichever I want to e-file, and if the state requires e-filing federal to e-file state then I'd think I should be able to do both.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Try entering a dollar of interest income on the federal return - that should allow both to be filed.

You can print and mail state.  Is it NY?  If the program doesn't let you efile Federal then it's ok to mail NY or any state return.  If you want to efile Federal try adding a fake $1 of bank interest.  Put the amount in box 1.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies