turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjspatz

If the only fix to an overload on your homes breaker panel caused by the activity of your home office, is to add an additional panel, is that an improvement or a repair?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If the only fix to an overload on your homes breaker panel caused by the activity of your home office, is to add an additional panel, is that an improvement or a repair?

If you add something that did not previously exits then it's an improvement.  If something already exists and it breaks, it's a repair.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you add something that did not previously exits then it's an improvement.  If something already exists and it breaks, it's a repair.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jjspatz

Yes, I know that already. But the question is specific to something breaking. The break forced the addition. Why would I add an additional breaker to my home that didn’t need it until the home office. I am under audit and arguing it Is repair because the single breaker couldn’t take the power load. Make sense?

If it broke, then replacing the broken part with the same part would be a repair.    If replaced with an upgrade to provide additional power it would be an repair plus an improvement.    What it would have cost to just replace the broken breaker can probably be subtracted from the cost of the improvement and deducted as a repair.   The remainder would be an improvement added to the cost basis of the property.   That is my opinion anyway.

I look at it the same way as if the home office space was not big enough for the inventory so it bulged out a wall in the home and broke a stud.   Repairing the broken stud would be a repair.   Expanding the office space by added an addition to the home to make it bigger would be a home improvement regardless of what the additional space would be used for or the reason for adding it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies