turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The wrong bank information was put on my return..I owe an offset. How can I get the balance of my refund mailed to me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The wrong bank information was put on my return..I owe an offset. How can I get the balance of my refund mailed to me?

If the banking information is invalid, the bank will reject your refund deposit and send it back to the IRS. The IRS then has to reprocess, cut a check and mail it to the address on your return. That can take some additional time for receiving your refund. The government usually only sends the balance after the offset is intercepted.

If the return hasn't already posted to the IRS's system yet, you can try calling and ask them if they can stop the direct deposit before it goes to that account, and mail a check instead. You can call them toll-free at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. 

Per IRS: "Refunds that are not direct deposited because of institutional refusal, erroneous account or routing transit numbers, closed accounts, bank mergers or any other reason are issued as paper checks, resulting in refund delays of up to ten weeks." More details can be found here Refund Returns

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the banking information is invalid, the bank will reject your refund deposit and send it back to the IRS. The IRS then has to reprocess, cut a check and mail it to the address on your return. That can take some additional time for receiving your refund. The government usually only sends the balance after the offset is intercepted.

If the return hasn't already posted to the IRS's system yet, you can try calling and ask them if they can stop the direct deposit before it goes to that account, and mail a check instead. You can call them toll-free at 800-829-1040, M - F, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. 

Per IRS: "Refunds that are not direct deposited because of institutional refusal, erroneous account or routing transit numbers, closed accounts, bank mergers or any other reason are issued as paper checks, resulting in refund delays of up to ten weeks." More details can be found here Refund Returns
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies