Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unicorn Jill
Returning Member

If I submitted my original (and accepted) 2020 return on another website...

For 2020 tax year, is Turbo Tax set up where I can e-file my amended return if I submitted my original (and accepted) return on another website?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

No.  You can only efile an amended return from the same account the original was efiled.

Unicorn Jill
Returning Member

Do you happen to know of any websites that will let us do it (e-file with them even if original was filed on another website)? So far I've only found one (TaxAct.com), but they charge $95.

how can you e-File 1040-X if the service does not have the original 1040 to compare/modify?

I think you misread what TaxAct.com is offering .

Unicorn Jill
Returning Member

No, I did not misread it.  You can check for yourself as well, just Google the company name and the word 'amend' And actually it's not only TaxAct that allows what I mentioned earlier. Other sites also offer it, but for a fee if you filed through another website. The service can easily obtain the original by having me input the information from it. 

I looked all around the TaxAct website.  I didn't see where you can efile an amended return if you used another program for the original.  Do you have a link to the $95 one?   You can use any company to do an amended return by first recreating the original return.   

Unicorn Jill
Returning Member

Well, sorry you weren't able to find it. You can do a Google search to find websites that will allow you to do the amended return when the original return was filed somewhere else.  

The closest thing I found was efiling a state return without doing federal.  You can't (except apparently for California).  So I would think it would also apply to amended returns.

https://www.taxact.com/support/24225/2020/consumer-editions-e-filing-just-the-state-return-without-t... 

Unicorn Jill
Returning Member

That was not from Google.  So at this point I'm not going to continue because you're trying to do a debate based on what you "think". I don't have time to debate and search for links for

proof. Besides that, my original question was if you know of any sites where we can do the amended return for free without doing the original return through the same website. You don't know of any. Okay great. Have a nice day.

your username tells it all !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies