Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I send my 2016 Tax Return Form already, can my parent's put me on their tax return?

Hello, Question.
Is it possible to redo my Tax Return Form if I sent already today and Be place on my parent's tax return ?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

If I send my 2016 Tax Return Form already, can my parent's put me on their tax return?

You can only be claimed once, either on your return or your parents. If you made a mistake in claiming yourself, you will have to file an mended return. You will have to wait until your first filing is completely processed (you get your refund) before doing so. . Your parents do not need to wait until your amended return is fully processed, to claim you on their return. But, they cannot e-file. They will have to mail in a paper return.

How to amend https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

There is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim a person as a dependent, he is not allowed to claim his own exemption. If he has sufficient income (usually more than $6300), he can & should still file taxes; he just doesn’t get his own $4050 exemption (deduction). In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You can only be claimed once, either on your return or your parents. If you made a mistake in claiming yourself, you will have to file an mended return. You will have to wait until your first filing is completely processed (you get your refund) before doing so. . Your parents do not need to wait until your amended return is fully processed, to claim you on their return. But, they cannot e-file. They will have to mail in a paper return.

How to amend https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

There is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim a person as a dependent, he is not allowed to claim his own exemption. If he has sufficient income (usually more than $6300), he can & should still file taxes; he just doesn’t get his own $4050 exemption (deduction). In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

Hello, Thank you for your quick response.
I got a  more question,

I still get my Tax Return money after amending, So my parent's have to amend a paper form to IRS so they can get the tax break correct? I'm 20 year old, still trying to figure out about Tax Return policies and whatnot. I accidentally did the tax return as a independent since I'm a veteran for US Navy, and they told me I'm independent.

Do I get any penalty for amending from independent to dependent on my parent's tax return?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Your parents file a regular (original) return, not an amended return. They just have to mail it. They cannot e-file. They claim you, as a dependent, and get all the normal tax breaks that come from having a dependent.

This is no penalty, to you,  for filing an amended return.

Being a 20 yr old veteran does not make you automatically independent. But, it does indicate  that additional questions need to be asked to see if you qualify as your parent's dependent.
A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:
1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled
2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are considered third party support and not as support provided by the student.
3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit.

A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:
1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year
2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016)
3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support
In either case:
4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer

Thank you very much,

Two more question
and I'll will get out of your line of sight!

So my parents could just had send the original tax form through paper and they would've gotten the tax breaks last year?

"A person can still be a Qualifying relative dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:
1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year
2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,050 (2016)
3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support
In either case:
4. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
6. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer"

""5. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own""
If I did my own tax return, Did that mean I just claim myself and my parent's wouldn't be able to get the tax breaks this year?
Hal_Al
Level 15

No, you cannot be your own dependent. That is,  "claiming yourself"' only means your claiming your own exemption ($4050 deduction). A 'dependent" is someone in addition to yourself.

"So my parents could just had send the original tax form through paper and they would've gotten the tax breaks last year"? Yes.  If you are talking about 2015, and they filed without claiming you, they can still file an amended 2015 return to claim you (assuming they meet the rules above). You would have to file an amended 2015 return unclaiming yourself.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies