kmspicer1

If I e-filed my returns but I am paying by check, do I need to include all my 1040 paperwork or just the voucher?

ddaven12

If you e-filed your tax return you would only need to mail the Form 1040-V payment voucher along with your check or money order.

• Your check or money order should be made out to United States Treasury.
  • Make sure these 4 items are on the front the check or money order:
    1. Social Security number
    2. Taxpayer's name
    3. Your mailing address
    4. Daytime phone number
  • Mail the check or money order to the IRS, along with Form 1040-V, postmarked by the April 18, 2017 tax filing deadline to avoid the late payment penalty.

The address to mail your payment will be on your Form 1040-V, or you can get it off the IRS 1040-V instructions (page 2).

As an alternative, you can make an electronic payment online instead of mailing the payment voucher and check. Here is the IRS link to pay online https://www.irs.gov/payments.

ErikaGP

Is this true for 2021 as well? 

@ErikaGP Yes---the reply above is still correct for 2021.

@ErikaGP wrote:

Is this true for 2021 as well? 

Yes, if you have federal taxes owed and selected to pay the taxes owed by check.  You mail the payment voucher, Form 1040-V, with your check for the taxes owed to the address printed on the 1040-V.