turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I add an additional W-2 through the amend return section, how long will it take to be added to my federal and state returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

If I add an additional W-2 through the amend return section, how long will it take to be added to my federal and state returns?

First of all, form 1040X (Amended Return) will not be available until January 26. Once it is released, you must mail it to the IRS. Be sure to include a copy of the new W-2, attached to the front of the form. The mailing address depends upon your state

The IRS says it can take up to 16 weeks to get the refund from an amended federal return.  This year, the IRS has an online app that allows you to check on the status of your amended return .    They say you should start checking about four weeks after they receive your return. Refunds are mailed to you; direct deposit is not allowed.

States are often slower than the IRS, and many state forms are not yet ready. You will need to check the link below for availability.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3299968

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

First of all, form 1040X (Amended Return) will not be available until January 26. Once it is released, you must mail it to the IRS. Be sure to include a copy of the new W-2, attached to the front of the form. The mailing address depends upon your state

The IRS says it can take up to 16 weeks to get the refund from an amended federal return.  This year, the IRS has an online app that allows you to check on the status of your amended return .    They say you should start checking about four weeks after they receive your return. Refunds are mailed to you; direct deposit is not allowed.

States are often slower than the IRS, and many state forms are not yet ready. You will need to check the link below for availability.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3299968

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies