turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked at a company for about 1 month and set up direct deposit. They never paid me correctly for days I worked. Never received pay stubs. No W-2 yet. What should I do?

Not sure if they'll send me a W-2. Also worth noting I quit after about a month of working there.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I worked at a company for about 1 month and set up direct deposit. They never paid me correctly for days I worked. Never received pay stubs. No W-2 yet. What should I do?

They are required to send the W-2 by Jan 31 so wait a bit longer.

If you do not receive your W-2 by February 14, then you can use your paycheck and file a 4852 form, but you must follow the IRS rules in order to do so.

[Paraphrased from IRS rules]
Can you file without having received your W-2? Yes, but only if you have not received it by February 14, and you have contacted your employer and attempted to obtain it, and you still have not received it by February 14, and then you contact the IRS (see the link below), then if the IRS is not successful in getting your W-2, you can use form 4852 in place of your W-2. But you MUST speak to the IRS before doing so. Otherwise, you cannot file before you receive your W-2.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Here-is-What-to-do-If-You-Are-Missing-a-W-2

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

They are required to send the W-2 by Jan 31 so wait a bit longer.

If you do not receive your W-2 by February 14, then you can use your paycheck and file a 4852 form, but you must follow the IRS rules in order to do so.

[Paraphrased from IRS rules]
Can you file without having received your W-2? Yes, but only if you have not received it by February 14, and you have contacted your employer and attempted to obtain it, and you still have not received it by February 14, and then you contact the IRS (see the link below), then if the IRS is not successful in getting your W-2, you can use form 4852 in place of your W-2. But you MUST speak to the IRS before doing so. Otherwise, you cannot file before you receive your W-2.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Here-is-What-to-do-If-You-Are-Missing-a-W-2

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Edited to remove extraneous information.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies