Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I Will Shortly be Purchasing a New Windows Desktop Computer...

I am trying to figure out what files/folders/file types I will need to migrate over so that TurboTax can find and import all relevant information. I have a .pdf copy of each years' TurboTax return back to 2018, the first year I started using TurboTax.

I have always used TurboTax Premier, downloading the program to my computer.

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to give me.

Hal

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

You will need the tax data files which are stored, by default, in the TurboTax folder within the Documents directory.  The tax data files have a file extension of .taxyyyy where yyyy is the tax year, eg .tax2022 for tax year 2022.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for moving files to a new computer - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/data-systems/move-tax-data-file-another-...

What I would do on the old computer, is copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Also if you haven't done it, I would open each year in the program and save it as a pdf file, go to FILE - SAVE TO PDF so you don't need the program installed to view your return. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

You only need the tax return data file ending in .tax2022 to transfer into 2023. You don't need to install older programs unless you need to amend or you didn't save the pdf file. And they only support the last 3 years. If you install an older year you won't be able to update it or download any state programs, so you won't be able to open your return.  You can not install 2019 or prior now.  

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

Note that the tax data files will only be useful if you also install Turbotax for those years on the new computer, and even if you have the CDs or the downloaded installer files, turbotax versions older than 2020 may no longer be supported.  (i.e. they won't install or they will install but won't update)

To prepare your 2023 return, you only need the tax data file for 2022.  And you should keep the PDFs of all your prior tax returns.

Also, before you move computers, I would go ahead and open all your old returns and create/save a PDF for "all forms and worksheets".  This will include the internal program worksheets that may contain useful data but aren't part of a tax return.   That way you have the worksheets in case the old programs won't install on the new computer.  

Don,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I had switched the default location to.... I am not sure where. I have all the PDF files of my returns in separate year folders. Foolish me, I did not concern myself with the TurboTax files. I will search for them using the extension .taxyyyy as you stated.

Thanks again,

Hal

VolvoGirl,

Thanks for mentioning that I only need the 2022 files for doing the 2023 return. Searching for only one year sure beats going back to when I started with TurboTax.

Fortunately, I have pdf files for all taxes filed going back to 2005 saved on two different external hard drives as well as on a CD that is kept in an envelope in our safe.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Hal

Opus,

Thanks for the very timely reply. One thing I apparently did right was to save a PDF for "all forms and worksheets" for all years.

Do you have a suggestion for how I might find the 2022 installer files? I know the approximate date I would have downloaded the installer file. Hopefully, I did not delete it.

Thank you again for your help Opus!

Hal

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies