turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wlenzi

I was about to file when I realized i need to change an entry on my state return but the program would let me

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was about to file when I realized i need to change an entry on my state return but the program would let me

If TurboTax "thinks" you were finished, but you aren't, here's how to open your unfiled return back up to continue working on it and to choose a filing method.

• Log in and at the Tax Home go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."
  • Click on that line or the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Under 2018, look for a link "Add a State" and click. (that doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return back up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can resume working on your return to make any corrections.
  • If you make changes on the Federal side, you may need to review the screens in your State Taxes as well to be sure the changes are reflected on that side.
  • When finished with the state return, click "Done with State."
  • Then go through the REVIEW tab to be sure all is still in order.
  • Then go through the FILE tab to choose a filing method, etc.
  • If filing by mail, it should prompt you to print the return and filing instructions.
  • If efiling, be sure you go all the way to the end to the final screen and click the button "Transmit My Returns Now".

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What does "won't let me" mean?   What happens when you try?   What is the entry topic?

Or are you saying that TurboTax thinks you were finished, and you don't know how to open the return back up to get to the interview?
wlenzi

I want to change an entry, I can not get back in my return to change the entryton my state tax return and the program thinks i am finished and will only let me file but iand not ready to file

If TurboTax "thinks" you were finished, but you aren't, here's how to open your unfiled return back up to continue working on it and to choose a filing method.

• Log in and at the Tax Home go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."
  • Click on that line or the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Under 2018, look for a link "Add a State" and click. (that doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return back up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can resume working on your return to make any corrections.
  • If you make changes on the Federal side, you may need to review the screens in your State Taxes as well to be sure the changes are reflected on that side.
  • When finished with the state return, click "Done with State."
  • Then go through the REVIEW tab to be sure all is still in order.
  • Then go through the FILE tab to choose a filing method, etc.
  • If filing by mail, it should prompt you to print the return and filing instructions.
  • If efiling, be sure you go all the way to the end to the final screen and click the button "Transmit My Returns Now".

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies