Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Golder

I can't change my address because it says im already done filing. I don't want to amend, I have not sent anything yet. Is there any way to change it now?

I'm using TurboTax for the first time, and I'm a new recruit in the military. I did all the filling in correctly other than my home address. I put in my current duty station where I am doing training, but my father said I should put our home address back in my home state. I want to file by mail.

I finished everything up, and when reviewing I wanted to download a PDF and it said I was done with my taxes and wont let me change anything without amending. I don't want to amend, I have not e-filed or mailed anything yet I just want to change my address. Is there no way to change it now? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I can't change my address because it says im already done filing. I don't want to amend, I have not sent anything yet. Is there any way to change it now?

" I want to file by mail."
I understand that. However, if you clicked that big orange "TRANSMIT RETURNS NOW" button, then you e-filed. If you got a "successfully sent" message, then you have e-filed your return. So you need to confirm BEYOND ANY DOUBT WHAT_SO_EVER that you did not e-file your return. Don't change anything on your return yet. Just confirm that you know for an absolute positive fact, that you did not e-file.
If you e-filed the return, then you mail it to the IRS, that's an automatic flag for potential fraud. So that's why this is important.
Golder

I didn't have my 2017 tax return on hand, so it wasn't an option for me to e-file. I had to get that information that I didn't make a copy of last year, so I don't have it, hence why I had to file by mail.
Carl
Level 15

Gotcha. I just want to be absolutely certain you didn't e-file, because you don't need the headaches caused by e-filing *and* mailing. It creates a real nightmare that can drag on for months, and sometimes years trying to get it straight with the IRS.
Now my screen shows you're using the CD/Desktop version of TurboTax Basically that you installed on your computer. So all you need to do is click the "Personal Info" tab at the top and just work it through making your changes as desired. Work through the entire "personal info" section until you get to a screen with a DONE button on it. Any changes you make are not always saved until "AFTER" you click that DONE button.
Additionally, since you are military if you are stationed in a state outside of your home state, then so long as your military income is your *ONLY* income, you will never under any circumstances file a state return for the state you are stationed in. You only file a state return for your home state, if your home state actually taxes personal income.
Finally, some states do not tax military income if you are stationed outside of that state. So if your state does tax personal income, let me know what state and I'll be happy to check it out for you to see what (if anything) you need to do to be exempt from taxation by your home state, if you qualify and your state offers that.
Golder

Thanks for your help so far, but I don't think this will fix my problem. I already finished everything, and have a downloaded PDF file but it has the wrong address on it, and I want to try and change that so I can download the updated PDF to print and mail. Is there any way to do that? I can't find the "personal info" section anywhere on the main page.

Also I got paid for work outside of the military in 2018, because I joined late in the year so I still have to pay the state tax i'm pretty sure. Is there any way to attach an image so you can see what I see and maybe point me in the right direction?
Carl
Level 15

DO NOT attach any images that contain any of your personally identifiable information. The scammers and trollers *will* use it to steal your identity. @TurboTaxColeen I've never used the desktop version of Basic. Can you provide more accurate navigation instructions please?
Golder

haha i appreciate the caution, but i already blacked out any personal info in the image i have. if there is any way i can show you what i see without exposing any info please let me know. i want to try and get this done asap so i dont have to worry about it lol
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

@Carl. I haven't used it either. Here is a possible work-around. He could amend and just change the address. Then delete the 1040X and reprint the updated 1040 to file.
Carl
Level 15

That'll work, and hopefully they don't need to amend later.
Golder

@TurboTaxColeen how do i delete the 1040x after i amend?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

To delete your 1040x after you amend:

To view your return follow these steps:

• Go to My Account

• Tools

• View Tax Summary

• Preview my 1040

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies