Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

budray17

I’ve already filed and received my money from taxes. I got the wrong credit for my dependent which was $500. I should have gotten the Child tax credit. How do I fix.

I thought that turbo tax would have added it on top of my return rather than just receiving one credit for my child.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I’ve already filed and received my money from taxes. I got the wrong credit for my dependent which was $500. I should have gotten the Child tax credit. How do I fix.

How old was your child in 12/31/23?  Had to be UNDER 17 on Dec 31.  Or you answered a question wrong.  Go back through My Info and edit the child.if you need to fix it you will need to do an amended return.

How to Amend this year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

DawnC
Expert Alumni

How old was your dependent as of Dec 31, 2023?   To qualify, your child must meet all of these requirements:

• Be under age 17 at the end of the tax year
  • Is your child, stepchild, foster child, adopted child, sibling, step sibling, half sibling, or a descendant of any of them (for example, a grandchild, niece, or nephew)
  • Has their own Social Security number
  • Lived with you for more than half the year
  • Didn't support themselves (didn't pay more than half their own expenses)
  • Is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien
    • Residents of Canada or Mexico don't qualify
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies