turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will the IRS notify me if I have an offset?

I may have an offset. They told me that my refund is set to be released on the 23rd. I have not received any type of notification about an offset. Does anyone know how/when they notify you of that? Do they wait until they release the refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Fern

Go to the IRS website (www.irs.gov). Select Where's my refund?. You will need to type in your social security number, filing status (single, head of household, etc), and the amount of refund from your tax return.

There will be a message there if the refund is offset. Otherwise you will see an orange bar graph. If the refund is offset the IRS will mail a letter within two weeks.

I'm not sure how true that is but I have a offset of $722 and never received  a letter from the IRS and when I check my status, it doesn't inform me of an offset or nothing. Just show me my full amount of my refund, which had me asking myself questions: Like why didn't they take out for the offset.

Filed 1/22
Accepted 1/23
DDD 2/23
Filed EIC

So I called  the offset number and it said that my offset for the debt  of $722 will be sent on the 23rd. So you may or may not get a notice. But Good Luck.

I too have a student loan that i think may be off set. I checked wheres my refund and it still shows the orange bar graph with a message my taxes may be off set. Thats the only notice ive recieved bit theres no amount thats to be off set. And my direct deposit date is tomorrow

Do either of you have an update? I haven't received my deposit yet and my WMR tool still says the same thing.

Filed 1/22 with EIC
Accepted1/23
Approved 2/17
DDD for 2/23
Received $ 2/22

Good luck. Hope this helps.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies