Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recieved 1099 sa and 5498 sa and entered the amount we contributed almost correctly- I was off by 54$ do I need to amend? Will this affect my return?

I did not enter the 5498 SA- it includes employer contributions 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I recieved 1099 sa and 5498 sa and entered the amount we contributed almost correctly- I was off by 54$ do I need to amend? Will this affect my return?

What do you mean? Are you saying that you entered the code W amount in box 12 with your W-2 and any personal contributions that you made directly to the HSA on the "Let's enter [name]'s contributions" screen? Then you entered the information correctly.

Note that the code W amount in box 12 on your W-2 is the sum of what your employer contributed PLUS what you contributed through payroll deduction. It's counter-intuitive but this sum is called by the IRS the "employer contribution".

Note that once you enter your W-2, that you do NOT enter your payroll deductions anywhere else on the return - they are NOT personal contributions to be entered on the "Let's enter [name]'s contributions".

Box 2 on the 5498-SA contains other amounts than your 2018 contributions. It contains:

1. the sum of all contributions made in 2018 (both Code W and direct contributions)

2. any contributions that you made in 2018 for 2017

3. also includes any trustee to trustee transfers from an IRA to the HSA.

4. however, any excess contributions for 2018 are not included in Box 2.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

What do you mean? Are you saying that you entered the code W amount in box 12 with your W-2 and any personal contributions that you made directly to the HSA on the "Let's enter [name]'s contributions" screen? Then you entered the information correctly.

Note that the code W amount in box 12 on your W-2 is the sum of what your employer contributed PLUS what you contributed through payroll deduction. It's counter-intuitive but this sum is called by the IRS the "employer contribution".

Note that once you enter your W-2, that you do NOT enter your payroll deductions anywhere else on the return - they are NOT personal contributions to be entered on the "Let's enter [name]'s contributions".

Box 2 on the 5498-SA contains other amounts than your 2018 contributions. It contains:

1. the sum of all contributions made in 2018 (both Code W and direct contributions)

2. any contributions that you made in 2018 for 2017

3. also includes any trustee to trustee transfers from an IRA to the HSA.

4. however, any excess contributions for 2018 are not included in Box 2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies