friendsnow21

I received my 1042 S form after I received my refund.

I just received my 1042 S form after I received my refund already. The income code is 20, the chapter indicator is 3, the tax rate is 0 and the total withholding credit is also 0. Should I fill the 1040X and amend this form?

HelenC12

Yes, you should amend your return to include the 1042-S that you received. The IRS will be getting the same form and will expect that to be on your return. 

At this time, you're not able to  amend a 2020 income tax return. As of today, it's estimated that the IRS will finalize the 1040X form on 3/25/2021. However check the forms availability to see any updates to that date. 

Generally, Form 1040-X,  Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, must be filed within three years of the date the original return was filed, or within two years of the date the tax was paid, whichever is later.

friendsnow21

Thanks for your reply. One more question, I am living in Maryland, should I also amend my return for my state tax return?

gloriah5200

Yes you should also amend your MD return adding the omitted income information