turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vickib3ll

I received IRS refunds from past years. Do I owe taxes on them?

I split these with my ex-husband.  His SSN is on the notice.  My name is on the notice.  Do I list the entire amount, or only half?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Refunds of federal taxes are never taxable income. If the IRS paid interest on the amount refunded, the interest only is taxable income.

Refunds of state and local income taxes may be taxable income. 

If you took the state and local tax deduction in the year of the refund and itemized, the refund will be taxable in the year received if the deduction benefitted (reduced) the prior year's tax bill. This is true even if you opted to apply the refund to this year's state or local return.

But if you took the sales tax deduction or the standard deduction in the year that caused the refund, it won't be taxable on this year's return. It also won't be taxable if the prior year's return was subject to the AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax) and the refund amount was less than the amount disallowed under AMT.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Refunds of federal taxes are never taxable income. If the IRS paid interest on the amount refunded, the interest only is taxable income.

Refunds of state and local income taxes may be taxable income. 

If you took the state and local tax deduction in the year of the refund and itemized, the refund will be taxable in the year received if the deduction benefitted (reduced) the prior year's tax bill. This is true even if you opted to apply the refund to this year's state or local return.

But if you took the sales tax deduction or the standard deduction in the year that caused the refund, it won't be taxable on this year's return. It also won't be taxable if the prior year's return was subject to the AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax) and the refund amount was less than the amount disallowed under AMT.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies