Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received an IRS letter saying I never filed my 2017 tax return (which I did...through Turbotax). How can I resolve this without printing out/sending all those pages?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I received an IRS letter saying I never filed my 2017 tax return (which I did...through Turbotax). How can I resolve this without printing out/sending all those pages?

Does the letter say you did not FILE or that you did not pay your 2017 tax due?  Do you have bank/credit card records to prove that you paid?  Your own records would be your only proof.

And while you are checking into this--look at your TT for the 2017 return.  Does it say "accepted" "rejected" "printed" or "ready to mail?"

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The letter says that I did not file. My return status on turbo tax says "printed"

If your status only says "printed" you did not file it.

“Ready to mail” or "Printed" means that your tax return has not been filed.  Either you could not e-file for some reason , or you chose to file by mail.  OR if you really did already mail your return, the software does not have any way to know that you put your return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox, so it will always say “ready to mail” in your online account.

TurboTax does not mail your return for you.  You have to print it, sign it, and mail it yourself.  When you mail a tax return, you need to sign it where it says "Sign Here" and write in the date you signed it by the word "Date".  Attach copies of your W-2 and any other documents that show taxes withheld to the left side of the papers where it says "Attach Forms..."

When you print your return, it will print with filing instructions that tell you where to mail it.  Pay careful attention to the address you mail your return to —federal and state returns do not get mailed to the same place.

It is not required, but is a good idea, to use a mailing service that will track your return or provide you with a receipt showing that the IRS got it--such as Fedex, UPS, or certified mail.  It will take about 4 weeks and then you can track the status of your return at the IRS website.

To finish a prior year return started in TT online:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559403-how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-started-in-turb

To send your tax return by mail and get a receipt to see that the IRS and/or your state received it:

https://www.usps.com/taxes/welcome.htm

Or use UPS, Fedex, etc.

If you are getting a tax refund there is no penalty for filing your 2017 return late.  If you owed tax due, you need to pay it when you mail the return, and you can then expect a bill from the IRS for the additional penalty/interest you will owe.  TurboTax will not calculate that--the IRS will calculate it based on when they receive your payment and how much you owed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Just curious what I paid Turbo Tax $127 for? E-filing, expediting the file/return/refund process is like 90% of the reason to use Turbo Tax. I guess, I'll print it out and mail it in. 

You paid to use do- it-yourself tax software. You had the responsibility to pay attention to whether your return was filed. You did not notice that you either did not pay your tax due or receive a tax refund?
tiedoli
Returning Member

that I did not file my 2017 taxes

@tiedoli 

You have added on to someone else's thread.  Do you have a question of your own?  If so, please ask it clearly so we know how to help you.

I received a letter saying i did not file my 2018 tax return and I paid you guys the money on oct 15th with a confirmation 

@debora1956 wrote:

I received a letter saying i did not file my 2018 tax return and I paid you guys the money on oct 15th with a confirmation 

Paying for the TurboTax online account fees does not e-file your tax return.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.  Provided you have entered a valid e-mail address for your TurboTax account.  Check your spam or junk mail folder on your email account for a TurboTax email.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for verifying your TurboTax account information - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-updates/help/how-do-i-update-my-turbotax-account-informati...

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for accessing prior year online tax returns - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/270...

ceacret90

TurboTax messed up my 2017 taxes and didn't find out until just the other day. 

Only thing I ever got was a few notices from the IRS in the summer of 2020 saying I had a credit on my account from my 2017 taxes so I called them and they said that they just needed me to resend my tax return along with a copy of notice and they will then contact me to apply the credit to another year if I chose. They never said anything about me not filing or receiving the E-File. 

I logged into my turbo tax and never saw anything about them being rejected and printed out my docs and mailed them in sometime in September 2020. The all of a sudden, I logged in to pay for my 2020 taxes and I am being charged late fees and on this itemized account form it states that I filed my taxes IN September of 2020 for 2017. I am so upset and confused. I searched all my emails and the last email I got from Turbo tax for that year was that my returns were pending and when we logged in to make the payment on the IRS website a month later (may) in 2018 for what we owed for 2017 - the IRS site was showing the amount that turbotax showed from when we filed - so we had assumed that our taxes were accepted.

I just went back into my turbo tax and out of the blue it says "rejected" for fed and state (but my state AZ paid us our refund and they haven't sent us anything stating we never filed.)  I filed for 2018/2019 using Turbo tax and when I was doing those years - never saw anything on my 2017 section. I don't know where to begin or what to do. I am calling the IRS tomorrow to explain to them that there has to be some sort of misunderstanding and re-provide all my confirmation docs that I have. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies