Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received an email saying I filed my taxes "so what's next?" I have not filed my taxes. Have I been scammed? No way to contact TT directly.

I don't file my taxes with TT Online. I have not even opened TurboTax on my computer for about a week. How did this happen?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

I received an email saying I filed my taxes "so what's next?" I have not filed my taxes. Have I been scammed? No way to contact TT directly.

you need to log in to see what is happening.

maybe someone guessed your password and used your personal  information.

@QinTHEwest 

Thanks for the response. I had to log on to post this question in the community. But - I went back and looked through my account online and it's acting like I am new to filing taxes online so it's not anything I've done on the website. 

My password is unique, long, and complex. But I noticed 2FA was off. Why didn't they make me turn it on? I guess that's on me.

I only file using the TurboTax software. I guess I'll check the IRS site. 

I wish there was a way to contact someone at TurboTax. This is a security issue. Maybe I'm overlooking something but it's very concernnig.

@QinTHEwest 

I use the desktop version of Turbotax, always have. Never the website. 

I received the  same alert you received. I have been looking but cannot find a way to validate if this happened for real i.e. my taxes were filed

Until then, for my peace of mind, I am attributing this to an error by Turbotax who sent the email. Or they are hacked?! Neither is appealing. 

My quick search did not show anything online about this including on Reddit. 

TTax Alert.jpg

Sometimes the marketing department sends out stupid emails.  Ignore it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I get it that marketing sends out odd messages. But that assumes marketing sent this message and my IRS taxes were not filed by a hacker. It has been many hours since the message has come out and if Intuit messed up, they should have sent out a follow-on message. Otherwise my freaked out mind makes me worry....

I actually received that same email today.   I just shook my head and deleted it.    No one has access to your account or your tax return.   You are the only one who can click that big orange button that says "Transmit my return now."

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It's a little reassuring that someone else got this hopefully in error.

I went to the IRS.gov site and went through the insane security procedure to access my account (quite impressive). It says it can take up to 21 days for my return to appear on the site. 

I have to chalk this up to an error, and it probably is... but I also have no choice but to do so. I am going to proceed as if this is a big Intuit email mistake.

Earlier in the season marketing sent out emails telling people that TT had their W-2's.  That was fun.  TurboTax does not have anyone's W-2's and we answered jillions of questions from people who logged on expecting to find their W-2's just waiting for them.   But take whatever precautions make you feel more comfortable.

Wow, what a fiasco!  I saw this alarming TurboTax email this morning even though I have NOT filed my taxes yet.  I've spent over an hour trying to determine if it was just a big mistake by TurboTax marketing - and I'm still not totally sure.  I've been using Turbo tax for over 20 year and have been extremely happy with them up until today.  But after seeing this email this morning, and finding it was possibly a marketing mistake, my confidence in the TurboTax brand has diminished. 

I called TurboTax Customer Support and was told it is probably just a general email.  No confirmation that it was checked and confirmed it was a mistake to send it out.  And to make matters worse, reading through the replies above, I see it can take up to 21 days to confirm with the federal government that my taxes haven't been filed.

TurboTax, you need to do better!  Please IMMEDIATELY SEND OUT AN EMAIL ADMITTING THAT THIS EMAIL WAS INCORRECTLY SENT OUT TO PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T FILED THEIR TAXES YET.

Until the email is sent that confirms this was a mistake, I would suggest to everyone else who has a concern about this email to call TurboTax customer support [phone number removed] or [phone number removed]) and voice your concern about this email.

I forwarded the email to: [email address removed]

I received an automated response that this email is for security-related incidents. I assume this falls within that realm. No actual response yet.

As I have said, I agree that it is unlikely that this is an actual breach of our accounts/tax records. However, I also agree that TurboTax should acknowledge the mistake to reassure its customers. The acknowledgment itself would also serve as notice that TurboTax/Intuit is paying attention to what's going on.

Thanks QinTHEwest for the quick response.  Hopefully, TurboTax Security will respond with some type of acknowledgment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies