Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jr-eberle

I received a w2 correction from my employer. Do I enter the corrected amount or the original amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

I received a w2 correction from my employer. Do I enter the corrected amount or the original amount?

You should enter the corrected amount since it is the most accurate. However, if you received a W-2C, then you should enter it instead of the original W-2. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My w2-c shows only the fields that need to be corrected and leave all other fields blank, I assume that how w2-c look ?? as I never receive one before. Thanks

@bhbaothebeginning 

1)  If you have not actually filed your original tax return yet

IF you already entered your W-2 into the software, you edit that one and change just the boxes that changed as shown on the W-2C...leaving whatever boxes already filled in as-is.  Then on a page following the main form, there is a checkbox to indicate that it represents a W-2C

IF you have not entered the original W-2, you enter all the boxes for that one....but change just the boxes that show as being changed from the W-2C.  Then on a page following the main form, there is a checkbox to indicate that it represents a W-2C

BUT

2)  IF you have fully-filed your original tax return already. You might have to amend it.   But, that depends on what the employer actually changed. Some changes are immaterial to your tax filing and don't require an amendment, so you'd have to tell us what box $$ and/or codes changed for the W-2 C...AND, what tax year the W-2C is for   (Some 2020 W-2C's have been coming out that don't require amendments)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies