turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a letter 3176C, I was told I need to send a request to the IRS asking them to withdrawal my tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a letter 3176C, I was told I need to send a request to the IRS asking them to withdrawal my tax return

When the Service receives what it determines to be a frivolous filing under IRC Section 6702, the Service issues Letter 3176C. The Letter 3176C informs taxpayers that their return is frivolous, and subject to a $5000 civil penalty.

Could someone else have submitted such a return using your name and SSN?

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Did you send in 2 tax returns for the same tax year ?   Did you efile it AND mail it ?   Or mail in 2 returns ?

You might want to consult a tax professional in your local area to get advice on how to proceed. Or you might want to call the contact number listed on the notice to ask why your return is considered frivolous. Do not just ignore the letter.

When the Service receives what it determines to be a frivolous filing under IRC Section 6702, the Service issues Letter 3176C. The Letter 3176C informs taxpayers that their return is frivolous, and subject to a $5000 civil penalty.

Could someone else have submitted such a return using your name and SSN?

This is a serious letter with serious consequences ... take it seriously.

Hello did anything ever happen? Did you receive the letter before or after your refund was received ?

@Bull12345 The Original poster asked that question several years ago, so is unlikely to see your query.

SHENIKa

Yes I mailed in one and it like almost a year to get it the IRS kept telling me they haven't received it and it was best for me to do submit another one since they haven't received it yet and that one was mailed in  so this time i re do it on the computer so I guess they finally had gotten both of them in so they sent the one that was mailed in back because some needed to be fixed on it so I didn't worry about it because some one from the IRS had already told me to re do it ,so they had me to go identify my identification in November  I did I still haven't gotten them now there saying I should be getting a 3176c letter can someone please explain this to me

RobertB4444
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS is threatening to penalize you for submitting two returns.  You need to contact them to let them know that you filed the second return because you were advised to do so by an IRS representative.  You should call the number on the notice you received right away.  As stated above this is a serious letter.

@SHENIKa 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Re : I received a letter 3176c, I was told I need to send a request to the IRS asking them to withdrawal my tax return 

What was the expected refund?  What credits did you claim? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

@Starleshamoore34  Did you have a question you needed help with?

GG2181

Hello, I'm sorry to just jump on this thread but I too received a notice from IRS (3176C) I believe I originally filed with TurboTax for the 2021 season, am I also allowed to make the amendment through TurboTax?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.   

Londie54

I mailed in 2 amended returns for 2021 to make sure they receive at least one 🙄 in case it get lost :( so now I’m told that I should of gotten a letter 3176c 🙄 what can I do now 🤦🏾‍♀️

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies