turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099-G form saying that I will receive $243 refund for my Utah state return but when I used TurboTax it is saying I will receive $0 Utah state tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I received a 1099-G form saying that I will receive $243 refund for my Utah state return but when I used TurboTax it is saying I will receive $0 Utah state tax return?

If you got a 1099-G, it is for a refund you have already received.  If it says 2017, it means that you received a $243 Utah state refund in 2017 for your 2016 tax return.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

If you got a 1099-G, it is for a refund you have already received.  If it says 2017, it means that you received a $243 Utah state refund in 2017 for your 2016 tax return.  

You have to enter the 1099G into your return.  It may be taxable income on your federal return.

To enter a state refund just type  1099-G or 1099-g (with the dash)  in the search box at the top of your return and click on Jump To it.

OR  Enter the 1099G under
 Federal on the left side
Wages & Income at the top

Scroll down to  Other Common Income
      You might need click on Show More to expand the section

Then it's the first line for Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns - Click Start or Revisit
     You do not want the next line that says Other 1099G Income

On the first screen check YES - Received a State Refund.

Enter the amount and continue on and after a couple screens, it will ask you a couple questions to determine if it's taxable.  It may or may not be taxable.  It is taxable if you itemized deductions the year it is from.  If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable. If you filed form 1040A or 1040EZ you took the standard deduction and don't have a schedule A, so the refund is not taxable.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies