sjp163

I reached the FICA Maximum. Therefore the FICA in box 4 on my W2 should appear as excess FICA to line 71 and it does not. How do I amend this in Turbo Tax

Since I reached the maximum FICA wages ($118.5K) the Fica withholding (Box 4) on my second W-2 should appear as extra withholding tax on Line 71.  How do I fix this in Turbo Tax?  Thanks.
SuzetteK

Hi there -

You're right about how it should be showing:

TurboTax will calculate excess Social Security or RRTA Tier I tax withheld when there is more
than one W-2 and the W-2's have different EIN's. Normally when there is excess Social
Security or Tier I RRTA tax withheld on W-2's with the same EIN the employee must request
the excess withheld from the employer. In the rare situation where the employee has W-2's
that have the same EIN but are for different employers the total amount of excess Social
Security or Tier I RRTA Tax withheld for all W-2's can be claimed as a credit on the 1040.

Here's a few things I would (double-) check:

Check to make sure both W2s have the same Taxpayer or Spouse (you) -
sounds obvious but check.

Then see if they have the same EIN (maybe you accidentally entered the same one on both?).

Or, if one the situations above applies, a different course may be necessary.

All else fails (different employers & EINs), I would delete one or both W2s and re-enter them (carefully).

Hope this helps!

Curious to know if it solves your issue...