turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

I owe the irs $1,900 and they gave me back my whole refund without taking what I owe them. How is this possible and what does it mean?

@Rrwhitewater If the IRS is not able to deposit your refund into your bank account for any reason, the IRS will mail you a check instead. The IRS should send a letter explaining why they could not do direct deposit for your tax refund. Please see the IRS link below on why they may have sent a paper check: Understanding Your CP53D Notice

You can go to this link Topic No. 203 Reduced Refund there is a phone number you can call to see if there was a refund offset.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I owe the irs $1,900 and they gave me back my whole refund without taking what I owe them. How is this possible and what does it mean?

I only owed $953 and my refund was $3,5k, I got mail saying I’m getting $.00 back and I’m pissed of, the IRS hours are trash and I’m sick of hearing the robot.

I’m frustrated because they sent my a second piece of mail saying my owed taxes amount has decreased but they didn’t give me the rest of my refund. Why? Are they not supposed to just take out what I owe and give me the rest of my money?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

This is something only the IRS can answer, you would need to contact them directly. 

You can view the IRS contact information here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies