matt-martella

I only got a state refund this year, no federal. Does that mean the IRS is going to use the direct deposit info on file from last year? Because I got a fed rfnd last year

JohnB5677

Yes,  The IRS is evaluating both 2018 & 2019 for direct deposit information.  The IRS will send you a notice to confirm the deposit.

matt-martella

Hi, I should have clarified. For the stimulus check, because I did not receive a federal refund this year, will the federal government still use the direct deposit info from this year? Or will they use last year’s info? I only got a state refund this year, but it was delivered direct deposit. Will they use that info for the stimulus check? I know this is a very technical question, sorry! And thanks!! 

@matt-martella wrote:

If you had a Federal Tax Refund in 2018 or 2019 and requested Direct Deposit for that federal tax refund, then the IRS has your direct deposit information, assuming that the account is still valid.  The IRS does NOT use any bank information from a state tax refund.

Otherwise, use the IRS portal available next week to enter your direct deposit information -

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

To help everyone check on the status of their payments, the IRS is building a second new tool expected to be available for use by April 17. Get My Payment will provide people with the status of their payment, including the date their payment is scheduled to be deposited into their bank account or mailed to them.

An additional feature on Get My Payment will allow eligible people a chance to provide their bank account information so they can receive their payment more quickly rather than waiting for a paper check. This feature will be unavailable if the Economic Impact Payment has already been scheduled for delivery.