Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dave22100

Form 8949 won't print page 1. page 2 prints OK

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Form 8949 is not really a two-page form. It's two one-page forms tied together, but they are used independently. Page 1 is for short-term transactions and page 2 is for long-term transactions. If you have only long-term sales, page 1 is not used. It's empty and is not part of your tax return, so it doesn't print. There's nothing on it to print.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Form 8949 is not really a two-page form. It's two one-page forms tied together, but they are used independently. Page 1 is for short-term transactions and page 2 is for long-term transactions. If you have only long-term sales, page 1 is not used. It's empty and is not part of your tax return, so it doesn't print. There's nothing on it to print.

Dave22100

I have both long term and short term.  copy 1 prints ok.  copy 2 will print only the second half of the form (page 2)
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Maybe all your short-term sales fit on one page, but you have enough long-term sales that two pages were needed for long-term. Does the page 1 that prints show all your short-term sales.

Page 2 is not "the second half of the form." It's the entire long-term form. Page 1 is the entire short-term form, not the first half of the form. As I said before, they are independent. Think of them as Form 8949-Short and Form 8949-Long, not page 1 and page 2. It's not a two-page form. It's two independent one-page forms.
Dave22100

In the forms section 8949 is noted as copy 1 and copy 2.  copy 1 prints nicely as two pages.  copy 2 prints only the second half and is labeled page 2.  The first section with the heading is left out.
Dave22100

I think I get it.   Thanks.

April 9 -- Though I have short term losses shown on Turbo Tax entries, 8949 Part I Box A of does not print out a return page to mail in.  The Schedule D summary includes the short term loss, however.   Both Long Term 8949's print OK with boxes D and E as required.

I now note that if the short term section of Schedule D has entry 1a populated, the 8949 Part I is not required so disregard the comment above.
gvk

I should be able to print out everything that shows up as a form.

Agreed... it's illogical that this form doesn't print the first page that has the taxpayer name and SSN.  If this were a paper copy sent to the IRS, I'd want the identifying information to be on the form, as I'm sure the IRS would.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies