Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpm6747

I noticed on my 2021 tax return that turbo tax used the wrong birth date for my son who is a dependant therefore excluding me from the child tax credit. Will they fix it?

I know it wad turbo tax who messed up because they used info from the previous year (that had the correct birth day)to fill in the form.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I noticed on my 2021 tax return that turbo tax used the wrong birth date for my son who is a dependant therefore excluding me from the child tax credit. Will they fix it?

You will need to amend the 2021 tax return for the child tax credit and enter the correct date of birth.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a prior year tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

TurboTax does not make up dates of birth, so if there was an incorrect date, it was entered by the user who put that date into MY INFO.   How old is your child?   If he was older than 16 at the end of the tax year, you do not get the child tax credit; instead you get the $500 credit for other dependents.

There has been one tax year---and one tax year ONLY -- for which you could get the CTC for a child older than 16 and that was for tax year 2021.  For 2021 you could get the CTC if the child was younger than 18.  For tax years 2022 and 2023, the "old" rules were back and you could not get the CTC if the child was older than 16.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies