If you have already filed form 8379 with your return, correct Form 8379, write Revised at the top and mail it in to the IRS.
To get back into your return, after it has been e-filed, please follow these steps:
- Click on Visit My Tax Timeline.
- Under Some Things You Can Do (below your 2015 return statuses), click on Amend (change) return. [Don't worry, we're not amending your return, this is just a way to re-enter your return since the federal return has been filed and accepted.]
- Click on Amend my return.
Once you are back in your return, you can prepare form 8379 in TurboTax by using the following steps:
- Click on Federal Taxes > Other Tax Situations [In TT Home & Biz: Personal > Other Tax Situations]
- Scroll down to the Other Tax Forms section and click on the Start/Update box next to Miscellaneous Tax Forms. (See Screenshot #1, below.)
- On the Miscellaneous Tax Forms screen, click on the Start/Update box next to Report an injured or innocent spouse claim. (Screenshot #2)
- On the Innocent or Injured Spouse Relief screen, click on the Yes box.
- Don't make any entries on the next 2 screens -- just click Continue. [They apply to Innocent Spouse Relief.]
- On the screen Let's See if You Qualify for Injured Spouse Relief, mark the appropriate state box and click Continue. (Screenshot #3)
- If you qualify for Injured Spouse Relief mark the No button for the question Do you want to file this claim with your 2015 tax return? Enter 2015 in the box and click Continue. (Screenshot #4)
- Continue through the rest of the interview, entering the requested information. You will be asked to allocate income, exemptions, and deductions between you and your spouse.
- When you reach the screen, Your Claim Is Now Ready to Be Filed With Your Return, click on the Print Form 8379 box. (Screenshot #5)
If you e-filed your return, mail it to the Internal Revenue Service Center for the area where you live. The addresses can be found in the instructions for the 1040.
For additional information see the IRS Instructions for Form 8379
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Still have questions?Make a post