Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to upgrade too access previous years tax returns, it won't let me without filing taxes. I have already filed taxes this year.

I should be able to access anything on my turbo tax account because I have paid to file using turbo tax and it is my personal information.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I need to upgrade too access previous years tax returns, it won't let me without filing taxes. I have already filed taxes this year.

You wrote:  "I have already filed taxes this year."

Did you file your 2016 return using Online TurboTax?  If so, was it in Free Edition?   Or did you file it outside of TurboTax?

You wrote:  "I should be able to access anything on my turbo tax account because I have paid to file using turbo tax."

What did you pay for?  If you had paid in PLUS or  higher in either 2015 or 2016, then the prior returns should not be locked.  

Have you located the 2015 return in your account?   Is your 2015 return locked because it was prepared in Free Edition, and when you try to print/download/view, it asks you to upgrade to PLUS?

We can tell you the precise steps to upgrade and pay for PLUS (29.99) with credit/debit card.  

I'll give you more info when you answer all the questions above.

Here's another option:
If you don't want to pay the 29.99 for PLUS, a free tax return transcript might serve your purpose.  Many lenders, student financial aid offices, etc. may accept one.  You'd have to check with them.   You may be able to download a free 2015 return transcript at this IRS website:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript">http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript</a>

I did not use Turbo Tax for my 2016 tax returns. I paid to file taxes for 2014, the year I am trying to get access to. I have located the 2015 in my account and when I click on it, it states I need to upgrade. I would love for you to tell me the precise steps. What I have found on your website always leads me back to completing a tax return for 2016 (I have already done this, with a different source).

You won't have to "complete" a 2016 return.  You'll just need to start a 2016 Free Edition return long enough to upgrade to PLUS and pay the 29.99.   I'll be giving you the steps to do all that in a moment.

Have you found the 2014 return in the Tax Timeline, and is it in the same account as the 2015 return?

Yes, I have found the return. I did not file taxes 2015.

Once I complete the personal information section it takes me to the next section that starts asking about income and taxes.

Ignore everything else.  Just click on Upgrade at the top as in my bullet points below.  You don't have to complete the return.  It's a dummy return.

If access to the 2014 online return is locked, you have a couple of options.

You may be able to download a free 2014 tax return transcript at the IRS website below:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Or you can start a 2016 online Free Edition return in the same account as the 2014 return, then upgrade, and pay.  You only have to start the 2016 return long enough to upgrade and pay for it.  You don't actually have to complete and file the 2016 return.

• Log in and start a 2016 Free Edition return in the same account as the locked prior returns.
  • Once you are past the blue "Simple and accurate" screen, there should be an Upgrade link at the top.
  • Click on Upgrade and choose PLUS (29.99). It may ask you to complete a little info in the Personal Info section.
  • Once you are upgraded to PLUS, you need to pay for it.
  • While the return is still open, click at the top on MY ACCOUNT, then choose PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print/save/preview this year's return."  (Yes, you say "this year's.") You won't actually have to print it.
  • It should then prompt you for payment by credit or debit card.
NOTE:  If it should offer you the option to pay out of the Federal refund, that can't be used for this unlocking purpose.  You will need to pay by credit/debit card.

I paid for the 2016 Deluxe edition, myself, in order to get access to my 2014 return. After paying, I still could not access the 2014 return. Does it require the latest deluxe version? Did I just waste about $75?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies