Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jneubaum

I need a copy of my state of Illinois 2015 tax return, how can I get that?

Illinois is claiming I did not file a tax return in 2015, I used turbo tax, but it's on an old computer that died.  How can I get a copy of that return from Intuit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

since you prepared it with a desktop version, the only copy existed on that computer unless you made a backup elsewhere. Turbotax does not have copies of returns prepared with any of the desktop apps.  even if done online, Turbotax would no longer have the 2015 return. 

And...even if you have a copy of your 2015 tax return, that would not prove that you paid the state.  Your only proof that you paid your state tax due would be your own bank or credit card records.  So you need to dig into your own financial records to find some proof that you paid the state of IL.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The IRS keeps the returns at least 9 years & you keep them only 7 yrs?  Why.  I need my 2015 tax return.  How can I get it then?

Thanks, Debi Welliver

@Debi Welliver  The IRS is also 7 years.  See form 4506 line 6.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf 

But you can try.  How to Access prior year online returns
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

If you can't get the side menus to open up to access the prior year..... You need to start entering some basic Personal Info in 2022 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2022. I had to go though about 12 screens.

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online. So you need to make and keep your own backups.

Or request a transcript from the IRS
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

JimboM7

The same thing happened to me - Illinois is claiming I didn't pay my 2015 taxes and they're claiming I owe significantly more than I did for that year. But for whatever reason, 2015 is the only year from 2011 - 2022 that I don't have a PDF copy of. I bought TurboTax2015 which came with 1 free state, so I downloaded Illinois, but my return also includes Minnesota (which is why Illinois has the incorrect amount that I owe). There's no way to pay for another state to also get Illinois. I'm stuck and Illinois is saying I have to pay an amount that I absolutely should not. 

If seems you used a desktop version. the 2015 Federal and state programs are no longer available from Turbotax, So, unless you kept it installed, even if you had the XXXX.tax2015 file you couldn't open it. offers of the 2015 CD on the web are beta versions which cannot be updated and states are not available. However, if you have that file, you could send it to Taxprinter.com. pay a fee and get a copy of the Illinois return if you in fact prepared it. Taxprinter is not affiliated with Turbotax.

https://www.taxprinter.com/ 

about the only other resources would be

a) bank or credit card statements for 2016 which MIGHT show a payment to or a refund from Illinois. 

b) a federal return transcript for 2015 - doubtful because the IRS also purges old returns. but if it exists from that you may be able to manually prepare an Illinois 2015 return.  

Hi VolvoGirl.  Thanks for the reply.  If you look at line 6 on Form 4506 it says "Generally" kept 6 yrs.  Like all rules, there are exceptions.  When I contacted the IRS they told me that if you didn't file at all or if you didn't pay enough -- there are no time restrictions.  They will take sales tax back 25 yrs.  Wow.  I finally got a copy of my W2 from my old work place.  It showed I paid $2,011.87.  The state of IL said I only paid in $76.00.  It was all resolved & I don't owe anything.  Whew.....  😉  Just an FYI for you.

Thanks, Debi W.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies