frachiechi

I made less than 10000 and am single. should I claim a dependent?

I am a single mom that made less than 2000 last year. should I file and claim my son or should I let the father claim him?

Zbucklyo

From what you indicate, your boyfriend can claim you as a dependent (assuming you lived together the entire year) and he provided more than half your support.  If he does, he must claim your child as well (you will not be allowed to).  You would not be required to file a tax return, but if you had federal or state income tax withheld it would make sense for you to.  If you file, you must indicate that you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

Does the child live with you? And did you make $10,000 or $2,000?  Any other income?

Where did the child actually live more than half the year (more than 184 nights, or more than half the nights since born if born in 2016)?
frachiechi

We actually all live together and are just deciding if it's better for my boyfriend (my son's father) to claim both of us and I don't file at all (since I made less than 2000), or if it's better that I file my own taxes and claim our son since dad is already claiming his other kid who also lives with us.
thanks
Zbucklyo

What was the source of your income?  Did you have an employer, or were you self-employed?
frachiechi

I had an employer and started working at the end of november
Zbucklyo

frachiechi

would it make more sense moneywise for him or me to claim our son (refund amount)? Obviously I don't think I could claim myself, right? Is it better for him to claim all 3 dependents?
Thank you!
Zbucklyo

Generally, it would be better for him to claim all three dependents if he has the higher income.
frachiechi

Thank you very much!